||Jim Young (guest, 22.214.171.124)
||December 31, 2006 at 3:29:12 AM
||Kent by Nick
You're right about the name being English, and I don't think there is an Irish name that has become Kent. However, there is an Irish language version of the name, which is Ceannt, really just an Irish language spelling of the name. One of the signatories of the proclamation of the Irish Republic(1916)was Eamonn Ceannt, or Kent, later shot by the British.
Edward MacLysaght ("Surnames of Ireland") informs us that "Families of this name, derived from the English county, settled in Meath in the thirteenth century".
|Because this message is archived you cannot respond to it.|
- Kent - Nick Dec 30 2006, 10:45:02 PM
- Slightly OT - Lillian Jan 1 2007, 1:11:16 PM
- Re: Kent - Jim Young Dec 31 2006, 3:29:12 AM
- Re: Kent - Nick Dec 31 2006, 7:28:03 PM
- Re: Kent - Jim Young Jan 1 2007, 3:00:50 AM