||Sean Foglai (guest, 184.108.40.206)
||October 7, 2004 at 6:41:42 PM
||But... by Name, Subject and Message.
I think you've said it ...things get named for all sorts of reasons and from all sorts of people. Sometimes lousy nicknames stick and become a source of pride (i.e. 'Tiny' Nate Archibald) and sometimes people just forget what the original meaning was.
But I think you stated correctly that the town of the "lispers" (if that's a word?) probably was named by outsiders who thought the locals spoke funny. Eventually they were all either merged, overridden by others or whatever ...but the name stuck.
I'd say it's not a huge percentage, but certainly many names come from what would have originally been perceived as a negative connotation.
|Because this message is archived you cannot respond to it.|
- Surname meaning? - Daniel H. Blazejewski Oct 7 2004, 11:33:14 AM
- Re: Surname meaning? - Menke Oct 7 2004, 1:42:04 PM
- But... - Name, Subject and Message. Oct 7 2004, 6:07:51 PM
- Re: But... - Menke Oct 8 2004, 1:32:57 AM
- Re: But... - Sean Foglai Oct 7 2004, 6:41:42 PM