Questions about this website:
- Why have you not responded to my email?
- Why is my surname not listed?
- Do I need to login?
- I registered for a user account, why was the email not sent to me?
- Why are my username and password not working?
- Can you make those annoying ads go away?
- On the message boards, what does NT, RTFM, etc mean?
- Why do you not have more surnames from this culture?
- Why is this language not listed on your languages page?
- Can I copy the definition of my name to use in my homework report?
- How do I list your site in my references?
- Can I copy the contents of your website and put them on my website?
Due to volume and time constraints I cannot answer every piece of email I get. However I promise that every email I receive gets read.
You can access all of the data on this site without logging in. However, there are some interactive features that require a login identity, including:
- leaving comments about names
- creating and responding to polls (on www.behindthename.com)
- maintaining personal name lists (on www.behindthename.com)
- sending and receiving private messages
- posting messages on the message boards (depending on your domain - some domains allow anonymous postings)
In addition, a login identity gives you the option to fill out your profile and upload a picture, and lets you track your contributions to the site. You can also turn off the banner advertisements that appear at the top of the page.
You can register for a login identity at the registration page.
Please contact me using the email address you used to register and I will activate your account. There are many possible reasons the original email did not reach you, including a typo when you entered your email address, and emailing filtering software.
The banner advertisements help pay for this free site. However, if you wish to turn the ads off, you can create a login identity, edit your profile, and then check the "hide ads" checkbox. This will hide them as long as you are logged in.
NT stands for No Text. It means that the message is entirely within the subject line, and there is no point in reading the body of the message.
FN, LN and NN stand for first name, last name and nickname.
For other common abbreviations see this Abbreviation Guide.
Because there have been no names submitted from that culture. I do not purposefully exclude names from any background!
That page only lists languages which are referred to by the name lists. If a language is not there it probably means there are no names from that language included on this website.
That is not a problem as long as it is only a few names. You do not need to ask permission for this.
If your teacher requires you to cite your sources you should use this:Campbell, Michael D. "Behind the Name: the
Etymology and History of Surnames."
(26 May, 2008).
(where 26 May, 2008 is the date you accessed the site)
No, sorry, that is not allowed. Please place a link to my site instead.
Copyright © |