||What does Vrettos have in common with Britney’s tattoo?
||Pavlos (Authenticated as Pavlos)
||April 12, 2008 at 9:10:58 AM
||surname meaning by Loxandra
The name Brettos possibly has the same roots as the word Britain! Aristotle referred to the Brits are as VRETANI (BPETANOI) or VRETTANI (BPETTANOI). According to George Babiniotis, VRETTANI could be related to the word *vretas* (ÂÑÅÔÁÓ)which, in addition to "wooden idol," also meant "those who paint their bodies with tattoos. " which was very common with the British at the times (as it is today).
So, in addition to your friend's name Vrettos, *vretas* also gave birth to > the Latin Brittani > OF Bretaigne > ME Bretayne > Modern English Britain :)
|Because this message is archived you cannot respond to it.|
- surname meaning - Loxandra Apr 11 2008, 7:42:46 AM
- What does Vrettos have in common with Britney’s tattoo? - Pavlos Apr 12 2008, 9:10:58 AM
- wow! - Loxandra Apr 12 2008, 9:37:43 AM
- Re: wow! - Pavlos Apr 12 2008, 9:57:32 AM
- Re: wow! - Sweetkit Apr 26 2008, 9:26:32 AM
- Re: surname meaning - Pavlos Apr 11 2008, 7:54:36 PM